Thursday 27 July 2017

Dranask Wolfsbane - what's in a name.

Why Dranask Wolfsbane?

Funny in some MMORPG that is me, my identity, shortened to Dran when someone wants to mention me in chat and those people when we've met in real life still called me Dran, not Mark or Tim's Dad, but Dran a being in his own right.

And strangely enough this alter ego of yours becomes part you and you it. Fortunately my MMORPG skills are such that I will never consider myself superhuman more a liability, I digress why Dranask?

As mentioned in the Madgamer's post we were running or rather trying to run a campaign and each of us had to name a leader. Short of an idea I shut my eyes and touched the keyboard, I didn't quite type Dranask, but close enough and the name was created, I believe it was unique, search for it on Google.

We failed to create a campaign but did create a Wargaming club, I think you will agree that was far more worthwhile.
 
Dranask Wolfsbane
In all the 40K games I played at the club and most if not all were, my disillusioned, some would say corrupted Iron Warriors were led by Dranask.

I had a few notable wins and some less memorable losses, though still some rankle, so much so that even now I still know why I lost, however as I said you remember your victories.
One frequent opponent was called Francis, or 'F' as he preferred, he always fielded a Space Wolves Space Marine chapter.

I do tend to lump all Space Wolf, Blood Angel and dark Angel players in to one group, people who play to win. People with beefed up fighting machine, ignore the fluff, you are here to win. 'F' was an exception but determined to win as was I. However no matter how many times we played it was either a draw or a major win to me.

I wasn't perfect then, and sure as hell am not now, but I recalled how in ancient times an exceptional leader might be given an honorary name to add to his birthing name I felt Dranask deserved such and so rubbed it in by granting Dranask the honorific name Wolfsbane.

Dranask Wolfsbane continued to fight many a battle, won and lost but rarely if ever lost against Space wolves, even new players.

Dranask then became my gaming name as I played on line, Call of Duty, Runescape, World of Warcraft and more recently Emporea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lizard Men - Lost Children of the Fallen Gods

My first WHF armies way back in 1996 were from the 5th edition box set; Bretonnians and Lizard Men, my son and I had a blast with those mode...